O Site Oficial da Copa do Mundo de 2014

sábado, outubro 31, 2009

Agassi Open - muito além do exame antidoping

"Every morning I would get up and find another piece of my identity on the pillow. I asked myself: 'You want to wear a toupee? On the tennis court?' I answered myself: 'What else could I do?'"

But it went horribly wrong on the night before the 1990 French Open Final. Agassi said:

"Then a fiasco happened. The evening before the match I stood under the shower and felt my wig suddenly fall apart. Probably I used the wrong hair rinse. I panicked and called my brother Philly into the room.

He said he would clamp it with hair-clips. It took 20 clips. I asked if he thought it would hold and he said, 'Just don’t move so much'.

Of course I could have played without my hairpiece, but what would all the journalists have written?

Before play I prayed. Not for victory but that my hairpiece would not fall off.

With each leap, I imagine it falling into the sand. I imagine millions of spectators move closer to their TVs, their eyes widening and, in dozens of dialects and languages, ask how Andre Agassi’s hair has fallen from his head."

His prayers were answered and the wig stayed put – but he lost the match to Ecuadorian Andres Gomez.